CLOSING DATE: NOVEMBER 30, 2020
This is a three-year contractual position (with the option to renew) subject to the successful candidate signing a Performance Agreement.
A trial period of six months applies
Reference number: BDA / V1
It is proposed that the CEO, selected by mutual agreement, be assigned to Wesgro in order to access the institution’s resources, easily access international and local investors, and access the organization’s networks. The shared focus on economic development is part of the reason why Wesgro is the ideal institution to house the CEO. However, Wesgro has the investment mandate for the entire Western Cape region, while this project is specifically focused on Grabouw / Elgin and therefore requires a dedicated resource. It is proposed that the incumbent work at Grabouw four days a week and spend a day at Wesgro’s offices in Cape Town.
About Grabouw Development Agency
The Grabouw / Elgin community has been trapped in a negative cycle of weak government, deep-seated inequality and mistrust, a low skill base, and high unemployment, leading to regular social unrest, threatening the area’s main economic pillars. , agriculture and tourism.
Meanwhile, the philanthropic efforts of the agricultural community today are unsustainable, unfocused and not conducive to change. Not surprisingly, social unrest and division continue despite well-intentioned donations from the farming community.
The Grabouw Development Agency (GDA) presents a structured, strategic, and well-connected alternative to the status quo: a body dedicated to overseeing the transition from unlimited charitable giving (with little effect) to social funding and community engagement. The GDA has been established because no existing body is empowered and dedicated to driving investment and growth, and coordinating the multiplicity of stakeholders. The GDA will have three different functions:
Create and communicate a shared vision for Grabouw through stakeholder engagement and digital communication.
Attract investors to various projects identified throughout the Valley, including a Lifestyle Village, the Eikenhof Dam development, and others.
Oversee the establishment of a community-based social enterprise in the form of the Grabouw Open Community Hub.
The role of the CEO of GDA is critical to the success of the project. The individual will need to bring all stakeholders together in a committee that remains sharply divided not only on ideology but also on economic prospects. The CEO is, in essence, a facilitator between the community, investors, and government (local, provincial, and possibly national).
The CEO will also be required to crystallize investment projects and then also seek investors to develop such projects in order to facilitate large-scale job creation. It will take someone with excellent stakeholder management skills to mobilize the farming community, the poor masses, and external (and possibly internal) funders. Therefore, it is suggested that this individual is preferably not native to the Grabouw region given the need for a new approach.
The CEO will report to the GDA Board of Directors.
Duties and responsibilities
- Leadership • Provide a clear, purposeful vision for the organization. • Operate as a positive model for the culture of the organization; principles and acts with integrity • Understand and navigate the dynamics of the organization; build strong informal networks • Develop a high performance collaborative team; is inspiring and present • Provide the Board of Directors with reliable comments and advice • Resourceful: willing to take measured risks
- Strategy • Understand the context and have a clear long-term vision • Navigates ambiguity and relentlessly relies on solutions • Use strong analytical and innovative thinking to develop a clear business strategy to achieve goals • Ensure alignment with GDA’s strategic direction
- Financial management • Strong financial leadership • Ensure that financial goals are achieved
- Communications • Ensure there is a clear communication strategy that maximizes promotional opportunities, community building, and builds the reputation of the GDA brand.
- Stakeholder contributor • Has a strong leadership presence • Establish strong trusting relationships with stakeholders that can be leveraged to help deliver results.
- Management and administration • Ensuring effective reporting of issues, opportunities, priorities, and milestones to board members and key stakeholders, including timely updates, written reports for board meetings, financial and follow-up reports as required by stakeholders. • Lead through a collaborative management approach that leverages available skills, experience and perspectives • Demonstrate passion for diversity and intercultural integration • Ensure continued investment in the skills, competence and leadership development of GDA staff to ensure maximum unleashing of human potential.
- Promotion • Act as the organization’s primary external advocate, ensuring that key messages are heard for the objectives of the GDA. Qualifications and experience required More than 10 years of experience with the public and private sector. The experience of a non-profit organization will be an advantage
Previous experience working as a senior manager is essential.
A history of working with diverse stakeholders
Strong understanding of investment promotion
Identification of investment opportunities and development of prospects
Understanding of public sector budgets and, specifically, procurement requirements.
Project management of complex projects
Experience in digital and content marketing
Experience in the application of data analysis tools and techniques.
The owner’s needs demonstrate the following personal qualities: An entrepreneur
Friendly and willing to collaborate
Comfortable in complex stakeholder environments
Willing to be brave and develop great ideas.
How to Apply: Send your most recent CV to mailto: firstname.lastname@example.org. Cite the full title of the position and the reference to this ad. Reference: GDA / V1 Closing date: 24:00 (midnight) November 30, 2020 Direct all inquiries to Celeste Dickinson: Human Resources, at 021 487 4881 If you have not received a response from us within 14 days of the closing date, please consider that your request was not successful.